Why Do It

 


 

Once in a while, especially when we don’t feel that things are going our way and we are not finding the spark or excitement in our life and somehow, despite our best efforts, happiness eludes us; I feel it is important to look deep within ourselves and ask few pertinent questions. Rather than running out to a therapist or to a friend. Because as I always insist, no one in this world should know you better than your own self. So everything must begin with your own self centered world and self analyzing thoughts.

 

So ask: why do I do what I do? Can you really answer this question with all honesty and devoid of anything else! Can you be totally honest with your own self where no one else is privy to, no one is going to see you there or judge you. You are the judge and jury and also the defendant and the prosecutor. Much of your life’s state (sad or happy) will depend upon that honest answer to the question: why do I do what I do?

 

And then once you find that answer, you must ask the next question. Now that I know why I do what I do, do I do it out of my own free will and choice or do I do it because of something external of me, is it really my free choice, is it really me exercising my options that despite other choices I could have made to do in my life I voluntarily, willingly chose to do exactly what I am doing?

 

The answer to this second question will either enslave you or liberate you from what you do. If you feel you have no choice but to keep doing what you do, then there’s nothing much that can be done to uplift your current state of life. Because you have decided and chosen not to choose, not to make a choice, not to do what your free will otherwise want you to do. And in this lies most of our dilemmas and misgivings. When we do not live by conscious willing choices.

 

I agree that some choices might be really hard to make and execute but if you think you don’t have any choice over your own life, especially over your own thoughts and dreams then this is the end of the road for you.

 

Whereas if you feel that up to this point you didn’t have a choice but now you do and then go ahead and seek that choice from within then you are on the road to freedom, to liberty. The process could be long and unpleasant. Like I often say, the road to heaven goes through hell. So enjoy the process, the journey, even when you are going through hell because you know that only by walking through hell would you reach your paradise.

 

The journey is never bad if you know where you wish to go and keep that in your mind always shining like a beacon of hope. I am not there yet, and my road is miserable, but I am getting there hence this road I must embrace and face and even enjoy because only this path would get me where I want to go.

 

It’s like climbing a high mountain where you embrace all the physical miseries and mental challenges through months only to spend few minutes upon that glorious summit and then return home. You cannot curse the upward journey or the freezing soul crushing cold since there is no other way to get to the summit (helicopter and uber doesn’t count).

 

So ask, once in a while, why do I do what I do? And then ask if this is out of your own free will. The honest answers to these two questions would sort out most of your dilemmas.

 

I still ask every morning when I wake up alive, why do I do what I do. The second question I don’t need to ask myself, because I know and I have practiced it all my life, to do only the things that is out of my own free choice.

 

Winter is waning, spring is waxing, and the world is once again coming out alive and refreshing after the pall of gloom of the last two years. Why are you still here reading this post my friend, go out and play, do something new, laugh a little more, bask under the sun, take some deep breathes, do something good, share a smile, fly into the wind, let go of your worries and pains and sufferings, don’t worry, you will soon have fresh ones if that is your thing. Empty your cup, as my guru always said, no matter how good the brew was, another equally fresh and might even be better is waiting to fill your cup again. Give life a chance, don’t give up, and like me, always keep going higher and higher.

 

Happy Weekend my friends from around the world. C you all on top!

 

Comments

  1. Dear Satya,
    I was having an awful day today and then I bumped upon your blog.
    Took me to that vantage point we come across on most treks where we look down and see things clearly.
    Thank you for the 'journey'. Coming back often.

    Keep writing and shine on more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When I Did Humpty Dumpty (of course i have done it so many times)

Talang Pass – following the goat trail from Tang to Holi

Singhar Pass (Jot) 4350m – journey to the killer pass