What is Passion

 


I was recently interviewed in the USA, where one of the pertinent questions asked was – how do I define passion.

 

My single sentence answer was – passion is something that I do purely for the joy and sake of doing it.

 

And then I elaborated: when I do something without any ulterior or other motive, besides that of just doing it, then I am following my passion. In short, when I climb a mountain I am not doing it for fame, money, success, glory or anything at all, not even to reach the top. There is no other purpose within me other than just climbing the mountain. And this is also an offshoot of what we often term as living in the moment fully and unconditionally, we also call this meditation, we also call this pure love and we can combine all of these to define our passion.

 

But if you ask me, then my answer to what is passion is when I cannot find a reason for doing it yet I do it then I am truly following my passion. If I can define my reason and motivation then it is not my passion, but rather my desire or wish or a dream.

 

Most of you may not understand what I am trying to say. Can any action be without its inherent reason! I think that it is possible to do something without a reason or purpose and that is your passion. Because passion doesn’t arise out of a reason or purpose or even a goal or a thought. It is because it simply is. Without reason, logic, purpose, goal, or anything else that can be humanly attributed. It is what it is, in its truest, simplest and purest form. It’s true nature. And that is passion. Passion is to be who you are. But of course, passion might be difficult to discover because it may not be easy to discover who you truly are, what is your true element, and what really are you doing on this planet.

 

Ideally the discovery of who you are and what your passion is should happen simultaneously, as early in life as possible. But for most it isn’t the case and many may live their entire life and despite being very successful and having lived a fulfilling life may not have discovered or realized their identity and passion. I was fortuitous that it happened to me really early in life around the age of ten. That’s the reason why I believe that I am the luckiest person in the world.

 

But then the really important question, which I keep getting asked all the time, is: is there a way, a method by which we can find our passion and true self so that we don’t leave it to fate or chance? Is there a proven, time tested formula, a step-by-step guide in finding your passion? Or is it only by trial and error or by chance that we discover passion!

 

And I would say there is no right or wrong answer to this eternal quest of man. It is a bit of all of the above like chance, luck, random, trial and error, hits and misses, some deep introspection and experimentation and also none of the above. Either you find it or it finds you or you pass away never discovering. And neither is bad or good. It is not necessary that each one of us must discover and indulge in our passion. You may never know that you are the Sun, yet you can continue to shine and offer light and warmth to the world. You may not know that you are the water, yet you can continue to quench the thirsty and bring life to others. And in doing so, I am trying to steer your question in another direction.

 

Passion is nothing but being your true nature. So instead of seeking what is your passion, seek what is your true nature. In which element or activity do you feel most natural and comfortable, almost effortless. It’s like being a fish in the water. Where and in what do you feel like a fish in the water? Ask this to yourself. And then whatever answer emerges once you are able to answer yourself with complete honesty (never lie to yourself), just go for it. Be who you are. And that is the key to the door of your passion.

 

Be who you are.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Did Humpty Dumpty (of course i have done it so many times)

Talang Pass – following the goat trail from Tang to Holi

Singhar Pass (Jot) 4350m – journey to the killer pass