Meeting Tenzing Norgay

Image credit CCL

By the time I turned 13 I had two distinct achievements, firstly I was among India’s top five in under 15 badminton and had already climbed two major Himalayan peaks. I was strong and fit and I realized I must hone my climbing skills further from a climbing school hence found myself at the doorsteps of Himalayan Mountaineering Institute in Darjeeling the summer I turned 13. I was underage for the Basic Mountaineering Course so I had to join the adventure course that was meant for mere tiny boppers. I was snooty to the core since I found my fellow course mates hadn’t even seen any snow in their lifetime yet. And there I met the first man to climb Mt Everest, Sherpa Tenzing Norgay. And from him I learnt my first lesson in humility and many such things that would come handy in my life long adventure career.

 He was an unassuming man of average stature with a smile warm enough to melt glaciers and merry enough to usher spring in arid deserts. At that time he was the Field Director in the institute and oversaw all practical training imparted. He greeted us first morning in the quadrangle with an opening speech. In which he actually introduced himself yet forgot to tell us why the world revered him; such was his humility. Oldest amongst us was 16 and I was the youngest and also the tiniest. Having already read our bios Tenzing knew that I was the most experienced in matters of climbing in the group. My classmates didn’t. To them I must have appeared like a loser. After the address he asked me to meet him separately in his office. I felt both honoured and terrified. He was literally my idol and a living legend.

 Inside his office I was awestruck with all the climbing pictures and memorabilia that lay all around. To me he seemed like a demigod presiding over his mountain domain. But he calmed me with his twinkling eyes and that open hearted laughter that won every heart he touched. He asked me about my interest in the mountains and about my family background. He showed me his albums and awards and told me that to his own mind he was still the mountain boy from the backyards of a distant valley in Nepal. For him climbing Everest was as important as it was to run this institute or anything else in life. He genuinely couldn’t understand why all this adulation was bestowed upon him. He told me that it is more important to love the mountains than to learn how to climb them. Anyone can learn how to climb but love must come from within naturally and with respect. Never consider them your adversary or opponents. Consider them your family and friends and that all of you are on the same path of self discovery. He also reinstated my belief that mountains were the finest teachers and they had answers to all our questions. At the end of our discussion he concluded that since I was too young to be included in the Basic Mountaineering Course and far too experienced for Adventure Course, he would teach me separately after class hours.

 And those one hour sessions each day at the institute climbing gym followed by discussions with the man broadened my path to the mountains for all my life to come. He taught me humour and that nothing ever really is bad, it is our attitude and the way we react makes it so. At the end of the course after we collected our certificates from Tenzing at a grand ceremony, I went to his office one last time. I touched his feet and sought his blessings. As the parting question I asked Tenzing: what is the best way to climb mountains.

He pondered for a minute and then replied: when you climb just be yourself, climb for your joy and happiness, climb because you want to, and be honest when you climb. The mountains know the truth anyway. And as long as you climb it really doesn’t matter where you reach.

 My farewell words were that hopefully we would meet again someday. Though we had kept in touch through intermittent letters and phone calls, my wish never came true. That was the last I ever saw him. Several years later he died peacefully at his hometown of Darjeeling. Thousands around the world owe him inspiration and the magic of mountains that he brought to the world, hundreds owe him their climbing career to his incomparable teaching and leadership and to him I owe my reason to climb. 

I would conclude with perhaps Tenzing Norgay’s most famous quote, which is also my life’s prime motto:


“To travel, to experience and learn; that is to live.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Did Humpty Dumpty (of course i have done it so many times)

Talang Pass – following the goat trail from Tang to Holi

Singhar Pass (Jot) 4350m – journey to the killer pass